Goals

Goals:
- to establish Centres of Excellence in each country where malaria is endemic;

- to train local people to implement their own successful operational Integrated Vector Management programs;
- to significantly minimize the number of adult mosquitoes towards creating vector free zones at the community level;

Thereby, significantly reducing the transmission of malaria and the impact of the disease within communities.

March 5, 2011

Canamancan Blog Entry Introduction

Where to begin? You should know that I’m not so savvy about blogs, Face Book and such, but I have sons who are and are supporting this effort. Trust me it will be an effort on my part.

I should warn you that I’m a bit “crusty” and what I write may not be “politically” acceptable to everyone – but then what is? I grew up in different times when language and phraseology were somewhat different than today. Some of that will come through time to time on this blog. 

First let me tell you where I got the name, “Canamancan.” Adam (talented son, Number 2) advised me to think of something catchy that didn’t necessarily reflect what the blog was about. It’s pronounced, “CAN-A-MAN-CAN.”  Can a man? … A man can!  …. make a difference. Already I have probably upset, someone out there; yes it’s gender specific ….and “Canapersoncan” doesn’t flow well in my opinion…some things aren’t easy!

Life for all of us, right from the get go, is about challenges and how we address them. That’s life! Most of the challenges impact on us as individuals. Probably half of them we have no control over, take birthing for example. Can’t say I remember being born or wanting to be born, but making my way from that warm pool in the womb towards the light and into the cold air had to be traumatic! I figure it’s why most babies cry at birth – it’s a cry of celebration, saying, I’ve overcome my first challenge – I didn’t want it but I did it! At the end of life, again I can’t really comment from personal experience, but some say you go towards a light. The challenge is to let go…we really have no choice.

How we handle our challenges and the end results affect not only ourselves but often others who are within our sphere of influence. Sometimes there is a subtle and unforeseen ripple effect that runs through the generations that follow. How’s that for “waxing philosophic?”

Some of us along life’s journey get drawn into the idea that we’d like to make a difference that would contribute positively on the human condition – the BIG CHALLENGE with a significant after shock. We really can’t help ourselves; we’re driven. Usually that happens after a good deal of introspection and we are comfortable that we have the knowledge and experience. We define the challenge, then pose the question, “Can a man, can just a man –an individual - make a difference? Can I do this?” Some of us conclude although perhaps with reservation, “A MAN CAN …. with a little help!”

Barry Tyler, Ph.D.